What are Dental Crowns and Teeth Bridges
Both crowns and bridges are fixed dental restorations which are used for restoration or in replacement of missing natural teeth, respectively. Crown is also known as the cap of the tooth. It is permanently fixed on the tooth to restore its natural size and shape. Dental crowns are generally considered superior to teeth fillings due to better esthetics and durability. Similarly, bridges provide improved esthetics and strength in comparison to the removable dentures. Crowns are generally needed to strengthen and improve the appearance of a tooth. It is necessary when a tooth has broken down due to the following reasons.
- After root canal treatment to protect brittle teeth from fracture
- To mask discoloured or very misshaped teeth
- When there is a crack line so the crown can hold the tooth together
- To reinforce a large filling which cannot withstand occlusal forces without fracturing
Global Dental Centre provides high quality and aesthetically-attractive crowns and bridges to the patients so that they can regain smile with confidence and energy. Visit us today so that we can revive your smile with modified dental bridges and crowns.
A crown procedure usually requires a couple of visits.
Our dentist takes essential care when it comes to treating our patient. Global Dental Centre is an expert in dental treatments. The dentists here, follow certain stages to ensure safe and secure treatment. Let’s have a quick glance at it-
The first stage involves an examination and assessment of the tooth structure and colour. In order to assess if a tooth is suitable for a crown, sometimes the existing filling may have to be removed and replaced with a new filling. X-rays will have to be taken to aid in the overall assessment. Local anaesthetic (an injection) will have to be used if the tooth is not root canal treated. Some numbing cream will be placed on your gums before you have an injection. You will feel numb which is a sensation of feeling ‘fat’ in that area.
The second stage requires the tooth to be reshaped to specific dimensions. An impression of your teeth will be then taken. Some material will be squirted on your tooth and you will have to bite on material that feels similar to Playdough in a tray for a few minutes. The dentist will construct a temporary crown for you. This will be placed on your tooth with temporary cement. The impression will be sent to a dental laboratory where the dental crown is fabricated. Some sensitivity may be experienced if the tooth is not root canal treated. As the crown is only temporary, extra care must be taken during eating, brushing and flossing.
At the final stage, the temporary crown will be removed. The tooth will be cleaned and the dental crown will be fitted in and checked. Some minor adjustments of the bite may be necessary. A small X-ray may be taken. If satisfactory, this crown will be cemented in place with an extremely strong cement.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns have become of great importance. After your tooth is treated from the decay dentist place this crown to safeguard it from bacteria. Dental crowns have the following merits-
- Protection of Tooth Design and structure – A dental crown is possibly the best protection that a dentist can give to an infected or contaminated tooth. Teeth weakened by root canal treatment are also protected with crowns.
- Esthetics– Along with physical protection, a crown also offers an aesthetic advantage. Crowns can be made to revive the original shape of your tooth. Ceramic crowns are strong, and yet very good looking. Ceramic crowns are highly preferred by our dentists. The colour can be matched to the colour of the adjacent teeth, restoring or improving upon your original smile.
- Durability-Crowns last the longest of most dental restorations, with a life of fifteen years or more. This is because dental crowns are prepared from high quality and stronger materials.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
- Functional Restoration- With the help of a bridge, we will restore your dental functionality. That is, you will be able to chew and eat efficiently. A bridge will also improve the clarity of speech that may have been lost due to the absence of a natural tooth.
- Energy Distribution– The bridge structure distributes the energy required for chewing force equally to the supporting teeth, resulting in the easier chewing process.
- Aesthetics– This is also a major benefit of a bridge. Not only do you recover your functionality, but you can also restore or even improve your smile with a bridge.
- Durability – Just like dental crowns, bridges also tend to last much longer than removable dentures.
Once the procedure of Dental crowns and bridges is complete, it may take some time to get used as the permanent tooth before. The permanent crown feels normal in your mouth; however, after a little time has passed, the crown starts looking, functioning, and feeling like a regular tooth. If you have any questions about your crown after your procedure, be sure to talk to the dentist. Our dentist at Global Dental Centre are experts in treating dental issues. They are also recognized as the best dentist for root canal treatment. If in case you have any query or your crown comes off after the treatment then do not hesitate to visit us.